Monday, June 4, 2012

Browned Butter Salmon & Potatoes & Sugar Snap Peas

If this salmon and the French toast were to engage in a duel, I'm not sure which would come out on top.... It's easy to predict that the cream cheese-filled and apricot-drizzled French toast will taste just as good as it looks, but a lonely little salmon steak leaves a lot to the imagination.

I'm pretty sure I audibly exclaimed, "Wow!" when I took the first bite of this Browned Butter Salmon, taken from my BH&G 30 minute meals cookbook. The butter, maple syrup, and my substitution of orange honey all join forces to create a warm, rich flavor that doesn't overpower the yummy salmon.

Ingredients
4 fresh or frozen salmon or halibut steaks, cut 1" thick (about 1.5 lb. total)
(I bought one salmon steak that weighed a little over 1 lb and cut it into four pieces which were each a perfect serving size.)
Salt
Black pepper
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
(I used the store-brand maple syrup that's not "pure" maple, and I think it tasted just fine!)
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel

I know I mentioned in the Lemon Crinkle Cookie post that I hate zest, and I cannot be fooled by finely shredded orange peel! I don't want to do it! I remembered that we have a jar of orange blossom honey that  was given to us, and we've hardly used it because...we have A LOT of honey. (But that's another story!)

Instead of using 2 Tbsp of maple syrup, I cut back to 1 Tbsp syrup and then substituted the orange peel for 1 Tbsp of the orange honey. Judging by the end result, it was a very nommy decision!

Instructions
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides of each fish steak with salt and pepper; set aside. Ins a small saucepan cook the butter over medium heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

2. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in maple syrup and orange peel/orange honey (mixture may thicken).

3. Meanwhile, line unheated broiler pan with foil; grease rack. Place fish on prepared rack of broiler pan. Spread both sides of each fish steak with the browned butter mixture.

4. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes. Using a wide spatula, carefully turn fish over. Broil for 3 to 7 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

What pairs better with rich, buttery salmon than fresh red potatoes and sugar snap peas??

Potatoes & Sugar Snap Peas

As usual, this recipe is from my handy BH&G 30 minute meals cookbook.

Ingredients
8 small red potatoes (1.5 lb. total), quartered
12 oz. fresh sugar snap peas
(Try cutting the end stems off with scissors instead of a knife!)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed, or dried dillweed
(I tried the thyme option and look forward to trying it with dill!)
1/4 tsp salt
I always cut any little eye sprouts out with the pointy end of a peeler. They're toxic, dontcha know!
Instructions
1. In a covered medium saucepan cook potatoes in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 12 minutes.

2. Add sugar snap peas. Cook, covered about 3 minutes more or until sugar snap peas are crisp-tender and potatoes are tender; drain.

3. Add oil, thyme/dill, and salt. Toss to coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment