Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mu Shu-Style Pork Wraps

I believe this might be my last wrap recipe for a while. Seems like I have more stir-fry and...call me crazy...soup ahead of me now, according to my BH&G 30 minute meals cookbook. I'm going to give the soup a try this week, but with rising temperatures and a lack of air conditioning, I'll probably hold off on those heart-warming recipes until the fall.

Right now, let's just focus on this wrap. With pork, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce, it's hard to not be nommy, so this recipe was obviously a success! Plum sauce is listed as an alternative to hoisin sauce, and, having never even hear of plum sauce before, I'd be interested to try that option. Needless to say, I stuck with my tried and true hoisin this time.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon sesame oil
12 ounces lean boneless pork, trimmed and cut into thin bite-size strips
2 cups loose-pack frozen stir-fry vegetables (any combination)
4 10-inch flour tortillas, warmed
1/4 cup bottled plum or hoisin sauce

Instructions
1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or just until meat is slightly pink in center. Add the vegetables. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
2. Warm your tortillas, two at a time, between two paper towels for about 15 seconds in the microwave. This will help you roll them!

3. Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the plum or hoisin sauce. Spoon one-fourth of the meat mixture onto each tortilla just below the center. Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla up and over the filling. Fold in the sides until they meet; roll up over the filling.
Oops! I didn't follow the directions to fold the ends of my wraps! I felt confident about these little wraps not losing too much filling. I'll be honest and say that this cookbook taught me how to fold tortilla ends even though the process may sound like a no-brainer. Having a nice tucked-in tortilla helps for those large, unruly wraps one frequently encounters!

We enjoyed our wraps with fried rice, and I must admit that I did not make the rice from scratch.... I bought a box on clearance at our super market! Sometimes it's ok to give yourself a meal prep breather!

No comments:

Post a Comment